Re: [O] Org Babel resolution of `:var` value reference inconsistent

From: Andreas Leha
Subject: Re: [O] Org Babel resolution of `:var` value reference inconsistent
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2015 12:14:02 +0000

Hi Nick,

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:
> Andreas Leha <address@hidden> writes:

>> So, to me it is more surprising that the manual execution works.  For
>> instance, I might have two tables with the same name.  Then, COMMENTing
>> one of them should ensure that the other one is used.
>>

> COMMENT works during export *only* I believe. You have to explicitly
> comment out one of the tables otherwise. If there are two tables with
> the same name, babel will use the one nearer the beginning of the file
> and ignore the second one (I determined this experimentally, *not* by
> reading and understanding the code - ymmv).

Thanks for following up on this.  I also ran some tests now and confirm
what you see.  Test code below [2].

I'd say it is a bug if the results from evaluation differ between
manual evaluation and during export.

And even if it is not explicitely contradicting the manual [1] (which
does not say anything about finding references), I'd prefer if
references in COMMENT'ed sections are not found -- neither during export
nor during evaluation.  This would be more inline with my intuition of
COMMENT is equivalent to # (which is also suggested by the fact that
COMMENT is described in the section on #).

Regards,
Andreas

[1] http://orgmode.org/manual/Comment-lines.html#Comment-lines

[2] Test code
* Test COMMENTing babel reference

** COMMENT Table 1
#+name: testtable
| a | b |
|---+---|
| 1 | 2 |

# ** Table 2
# #+name: testtable
# | c | d |
# |---+---|
# | 3 | 4 |

# ** Table 2.5
# #+name: testtable2
# | c | d |
# |---+---|
# | 3 | 4 |

** Table 3
#+name: testtable
| e | f |
|---+---|
| 5 | 6 |

** Use (one of) the visible tables
This gives different results during export compared to manual
evaluation.
#+begin_src R :var tab=testtable :colnames yes :exports results
  tab
#+end_src

#+results:
| a | b |
|---+---|
| 1 | 2 |

** Use the #'ed table                                              :noexport:
This works neither during export nor during manual evaluation.
#+begin_src R :var tab=testtable2 :colnames yes :exports results
  tab
#+end_src