Re: [O] Allowing loose ordering in Org files

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: [O] Allowing loose ordering in Org files
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2015 11:24:41 -0800

> The whole point of defining a formal syntax for Org is that it becomes
> possible to parse Org documents with something other than Emacs and still
> make sense of them. To reap that benefit, you need to drop some of the
> ad-hoc parsing that Org did in the past.

Yes, I know this. The benefits of regular structure are unrelated to my
request for freedom from the constraints of such regularity.

> You will find that the argument really wasn't about performance, but
> complexity.

I can accept a complexity argument, if my request were really "a separate
code-path". I'm not sure it is. For example, my needs could be satisfied by
something as simple as:

    (defun parse-org-entry (...)
        (let ((props (funcall 'parse-org-properties-function ...)))
           ...))

`parse-org-properties-function' would point to a function that does what Org
8.3 does now. This gives me the option of porting over the 8.2 version and
keeping the old behavior. All that needs to be done is to allow this hook, no?

John