Re: [O] Allowing loose ordering in Org files

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] Allowing loose ordering in Org files
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 21:38:30 +0100

John Wiegley writes:
> In my regimen, every single entry has a PROPERTIES drawer, since I tag each
> one with ID and CREATED, for future reference. Most items are SCHEDULED as
> well. So when I open up a headline to look at the contents, I see:
>
>     * Head
>     SCHEDULED
>     text
>     :PROPERTIES:...
>
> It's a trivial thing, but I'd rather not scan past two lines to start reading
> my entry.

So isn't your request rather to hide the properties drawer better by
default?  You were _only_ talking about the UX in this whole thread and
that might be a lot easier to adapt while not changing the way Org
syntax is defined.

There were lots of bugs to be fixed with properties and properties
inheritance and I dabbled in that endeavour, which makes me more
cautious about wading in and changing it yet again.  Knowing where to
find the properties quickly is key to this not falling apart again,
IMHO.  Even then, due to inheritance properties are probably the most
complex thing to wrap your head around in Org aside from Babel.

[…]
> I *care*, which is maybe both a blessing and a curse. It is the origin of my
> creative contributions, but also the cause of these annoying threads. I'd
> rather work with you guys than against you; but there are some sacred cows
> that moan plaintively, when a sharp parenthesis is drawn across their throats.

As I said above, the solution may well be different than both what you
want to keep and what Org offers now.  I don't find that thread
particularly annoying, btw.

Regards,
Achim.