Re: [O] bug#21818: 24.5; org-set-tags-to indentation problems when calle

From: Emanuel Evans
Subject: Re: [O] bug#21818: 24.5; org-set-tags-to indentation problems when called programmatically
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 10:39:27 -0800

> I don't consider it to be a bug.
>
> `org-element-interpret-data' produces a string, which is expected to be
> syntactically correct, but doesn't guarantee aesthetics. In particular,
> `org-element-headline-interpreter' tries to align tags as accurately as
> possible, but, in this case, fails to succeed as it would require to
> introduce fontification in the process. This is out of the scope of the
> function.

Hmmm, that doesn't really make sense to me. Shouldn't the flow of

1. Edit a document with org-mode
2. (org-element-interpret-data (org-element-parse-buffer))

be as close to the original as possible? Seems like the fontification
aspect is just an implementation detail. In any case, I looked more into
the code and would be happy to submit a patch to change it if it makes
sense to you.

- Emanuel