Re: [O] Unable to filter agenda to show only non-tagged items

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: [O] Unable to filter agenda to show only non-tagged items
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 11:39:38 -0500

Hello,

"sgeorgii ." <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello!
>
> Having installed latest org 8.3.2 I am now having the subject problem:
>
> M-x org-agenda
>
> When in agenda:
>
> / (filter)
>
> TAB (filter by tag)
>
> <Enter> (without entering any tags for "Tag:" question)
>
> Before this gave me agenda view filtered to show only non-tagged items.
> I believe this was right and just fine.
>
> Now I have error:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (args-out-of-range "" 0 1)
>   org-agenda-filter-make-matcher-tag-exp(("+") 43)
>   org-agenda-filter-make-matcher(("+") tag t)
>   org-agenda-filter-apply(("+") tag t)
>   org-agenda-filter-by-tag(nil)
>   call-interactively(org-agenda-filter-by-tag nil nil)
>   command-execute(org-agenda-filter-by-tag)

I believe 6c6ae99 (org-agenda: Filtering in the agenda on grouptags,
2015-01-24) changed this behavior.  The discussion about these changes
is here (sorry, the gmane web interface is down for me):
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2015-01/msg00618.html

org-agenda-filter-by-tag should be fixed to handle the empty tag case
that causes the error above, either by behaving as before or by giving a
clear error.  I haven't looked closely enough at the changes or the
discussion to guess whether that commit intended to preserve the empty
tag behavior you were relying on.  Is that behavior documented anywhere?

--
Kyle