Re: [O] Fwd: Citation processing via Zotero + zotxt

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: Re: [O] Fwd: Citation processing via Zotero + zotxt
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2015 15:51:43 -0600

Matt Price <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 3:16 PM, Richard Lawrence
> <address@hidden> wrote:

>     I know that many people (perhaps especially the `power users' who
>     have been active in the citations discussion so far) prefer to
>     maintain their reference database without the aid of a GUI
>     reference manager like Zotero. I still think Zotero + zotxt is the
>     best option for non-LaTeX citation processing, even for these
>     folks. The ease of installation (and removal) of the required
>     programs alone makes it worth it, even if you never actually
>     populate a Zotero database. So given what I know at the moment, I
>     think our efforts would best be directed at making the in-progress
>     org-cite library communicate with Zotero via zotxt. What do you
>     think?
>
>     Best,
>     Richard
>
>     [1] https://www.zotero.org/
>     [2] https://gitlab.com/egh/zotxt/
>     [3] See the bibliographyEndpoint function in:
>     https://gitlab.com/egh/zotxt/blob/master/extension/bootstrap.js
>     [4] https://gitlab.com/egh/zotxt-emacs
>
> I love Zotxt. my only concern is for those people who run a remote
> Emacs. If, say, you run emacs on a server that you access by ssh, it
> will not be possible to process your citations with org.
>
> I personally don't use this method, though I have occasionally had to
> work off of a server via some randome computer when my laptop breaks
> down. For me, this is a veyr rare case. Is there anyone on the list
> who might actually be negatively affected by this?

I do have a remote emacs installation that I use occasionally, but not
enough to make this a concern.

One question (based on complete ignorance of either zotero or zotxt) is
whether those of us who maintain bibtex databases solely in emacs would
have to interact with the zotero GUI. Let's say I have a bib file and an
org document containing citations. Would everything place transparently
in the background without ever having to interact with zotero? Can
zotero query a bib file without requiring the user manually to
import/export the database?

Thanks,
Matt