Re: [O] missing frame title using org beamer export

From: Jinli Feng
Subject: Re: [O] missing frame title using org beamer export
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 13:17:32 -0500

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 11:21 AM, John Hendy <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 9:46 AM, Jinli Feng <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 8:19 AM, Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On Wednesday,  2 Dec 2015 at 06:42, mypostgtd wrote:
>> > - issue: org mode beamer export ignored all frame titles
>> >
>> > I've tried searching online for couple of hours, but couldn't find a
>> > solution.
>> > Can someone please advise?
>>
>> How did you actually export the file to beamer?  Your LaTeX file seems
>> to be the result of a LaTeX export, not beamer.  Your org file exports
>> just fine for me.
>

> Eric,
>
> Thanks for the rely. I used "C-c C-e l p" to export the file. For some
> reason "C-c C-e p" no longer works in orgmode v8.3. I'm yet to figure out
> how to bind that key directly to pdf output. Is this the same as how you
> exported the file?

As you may well be aware, Org changed a lot from 7.x -> 8.x. Have you
been through the various upgrade documents out there? This will be one
of many "surprises" you'll run into if you don't take a look.
- Official upgrade notes: http://orgmode.org/worg/org-8.0.html
- Walkthrough attempt I made:
http://jwhendy.blogspot.com/2013/03/migrating-to-new-org-mode-exporter-org.html
- Beamer for Org 8.x: http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/ox-beamer.html

In particular, I'm guessing you don't have the beamer class defined
and aren't aware of =C-c C-e l P= (note capital P), which is the
beamer export function now. It's just sufficient to just define the
class as beamer and export to LaTeX.

Quick answer: go to the second link above and copy that first code
block into your .emacs. Reload your config (or just restart emacs),
and do =C-c C-e l P=. See if that helps.

Thanks, John! I added the beamer definition and used the Upper case P which almost did the trick, in the sense that all the headings are properly exported and the frames look as expected. However, the pdf file is missing the title and author, with only the date showing on the front page.  I don't see anything obviously wrong in the tex file:

\author{dummy}
\date{\today}
\title{Test Frame title}
\hypersetup{
 pdfauthor={dummy},
 pdftitle={Test Frame title},
 pdfkeywords={},
 pdfsubject={},
 pdfcreator={Emacs 24.3.2 (Org mode 8.3.2)},
 pdflang={English}}
\begin{document}

\maketitle
\begin{frame}{Outline}
\tableofcontents
\end{frame}

Any idea why?

btw. I searched for hours about migrating from v7 to v8 of orgmode, but didn't come upon your blog. It could've saved me so much headache! Maybe we should add yours as a link on the worg page? I've avoided the migration as per the rule "not breaking what works", but it's time to take the plunge and living through the growing pain :) Thanks for the help!

Hope that gets you pointed in the right direction!

John