Re: [O] Citation processing via Zotero + zotxt

From: Christian Wittern
Subject: Re: [O] Citation processing via Zotero + zotxt
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 09:41:13 +0800

On 2015-12-03 8:27, Matt Lundin wrote:
> Given these complexities, it seems that if we went the zotero route we
> could end up with a fairly large installation chain (firefox, zotero,
> zotxt, plugin for zotero). And this would require installing items from
> multiple, heterogeneous sources.
I guess it depends on where you come from.  For those who already maintain
the bibliography in Zotero this is not much of an extra load.

> I wonder at this point whether pandoc-citeproc (packaged with pandoc)
> would actually be the simpler route. It can parse bibtex files directly
> and (as a filter within pandoc) can output formatted citations in org
> format.
This sounds like those maintaining a BibTex bibliography would be better
served here.  That also means that the Zotero route would not have to worry
about importing a bibtex file into Zotero behind the scenes.

> As a GNU/Linux user, I would find installing zotero and all the add-ons
> messier and more cumbersome than installing pandoc and/or node-js (were
> we to use citeproc-js) from the command line.
Maybe the best situation would be to support both the pandoc and zotero
toolchain as backends and let the user decide what to use. If the result is
in both cases org-formated citations, that should not make it too difficult, no?

All the best,

Christian

--
Christian Wittern, Kyoto