Re: [O] Citation processing via Zotero + zotxt

From: Thomas S . Dye
Subject: Re: [O] Citation processing via Zotero + zotxt
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2015 09:14:42 -1000

Aloha all,

At the risk of introducing noise, I've long wondered if tex4ht might
help with citation processing in Org mode?  IIUC, tex4ht uses the
device-independent dvi file produced by TeX to make html, odt, and other
formats. With an Org mode that relied on tex4ht, users would use BibTeX
bibliographies, and Org mode documents with citations would be processed
by LaTeX and a tex4ht script that would yield the correctly formatted
in-text citations and bibliography in the desired output format.  Org mode
would then parse this output and plug in the pieces at the right places.

This approach, if feasible, would please LaTeX users happy with BibTeX
and wary of translating bibliographic databases to Zotero.  It would
only require a working LaTeX installation, and so would avoid the
Haskell hassle, etc.  And, it would make use of BibTex/BibLaTeX,
arguably the best bibliography software out there.

I'm in way over my head here and won't be surprised to learn that this
idea is a bad one.  Given the wide-ranging nature of this discussion, I
thought this might be the time to suggest it.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye