Re: [O] Citation processing via Zotero + zotxt

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: Re: [O] Citation processing via Zotero + zotxt
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2015 20:06:18 -0600

John Kitchin <address@hidden> writes:

> I am not yet convinced a citation processor will get us where we want
> because of the complexity of the external dependencies, and the
> potential/probable need for us to define new CSL files for different
> backends, or at a minimum for org-formatted citations and
> bibliographies. Hacking bst files is no fun, and it doesn't look like
> CSL files are much better! Plus you have to find them and install them
> somehow.

As I understand it, we would not need to hack the CSL files to get org
markup. With a good processor, such as citeproc-js, it should be trivial
to modify the output format.[fn:1]

What CSL implementations do offer is the complexity to handle all the
nuances of multiple citation styles, languages, etc. (e.g., something
like Chicago Manual of Style footnotes). My suspicion is that it would
take years to code something in emacs-lisp that offers all of the
functionality of CSL processors.

> http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2015/12/03/Exporting-numbered-citations-in-html-with-unsorted-numbered-bibliography/
>
> I am pointing this out because I think the approach I used could allow
> for plugins for different database backends, different ways to get the
> replacements, etc... you could substitute org-ref links for the
> citation syntax at some point with no real loss of generality. org-ref
> could insert the new syntax as soon as it is available in a main org
> branch. Some code will have to be rewritten to get the key under
> point, but that probably won't be too hard.

Thanks for sharing this. I use something like this myself for *basic*
Chicago Manual of Style formatting when I can't rely on
biblatex-chicago. Might I ask: What is org-ref syntax as opposed to
citation syntax?

>  Then other more advanced solutions could come along that would likely
> be superior in output quality if they use real citation processors,
> but only if there are CSLs for different backends (if I understand how
> they work).

I don't think modifying CSL styles would be necessary. A huge number
already exist.[fn:2] I think all we would need to do is to convert the
final CSL output to org syntax, which pandoc can already do and which
citeproc-js could do with minor additions.

Best,
Matt

Footnotes:

[fn:1]