Re: [O] org-ref video

From: briangpowell .
Subject: Re: [O] org-ref video
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 23:02:27 -0500

I'm absolutely sure that I read it somewhere--its "Lay-Teck"--and again; if you think about it, that's what it ought to be.

Hilarious "La" isn't from "Lamport"--very funny though.

I agree though, this is up to me to prove; but, don't hold your breath--it may be hard to find--I have books to the ceiling in every room in my house--and many on TeX and its derivatives.

The TeX FAQ (http://www.tex.ac.uk/FAQ-latexpronounce.html) contradicts you:

,----
| How should I pronounce “LaTeX(2e)”?
|
| Lamport never recommended how one should pronounce LaTeX, but a lot of
| people pronounce it ‘Lay TeX’ or perhaps ‘Lah TeX’ (with TeX pronounced
| as the program itself; see the rules for TeX). It is definitely not to
| be pronounced in the same way as the rubber-tree gum (which would be
| ‘lay teks’).
|
| The LaTeX2e logo is supposed to end with an ε; nevertheless, most people
| pronounce the name as ‘LaTeX-two-ee’.
`----

Lamport's first edition is packed away so I can't check it right now,
but the second edition preface certainly does not say anything about
the pronunciation of LaTeX.

> Small note, feel free to ignore it (one and all); but, "LaTeX" is properly
> pronounced: "Lay-Teck"--since its a macro language which "lays on top of
> TeX"--the TeX part you pronounced correctly, which is the part that really
> matters (Tau-Epsilon-Chi).

and

> And when you think about it, pronouncing it as "Lay" does make sense "La" only means "the"
> in some romance Languages and the "L" and "A" don't stand for anything in particular
> either--LA isn't an acronym--and it has no "foreign language" meaning.  Its not "The
> TeX"--TeX is "The TeX"--the lowest primal language itself, programmed in C.

I believe you are overthinking this.

I have never seen any evidence for either of these statements:

o that LaTeX is pronounced Lay-Teck (or Lay-Tekh if we follow Knuth's
direction of adding moisture to the screen) because it "lays on top
of TeX" (btw, are you quoting somebody else here? or quoting yourself?)

o that there is some connection between the "La" in LaTeX and the
article in some romance languages.

Do you have any independent evidence for either of these?

Here is another interpretation which IMO is more likely than anything
you have presented (but is equally unsupported by actual evidence): the
"La" in LaTeX comes from the "La" in Lamport.

--
Nick