[O] Working with in-line src and fill-mode/running into new line

From: John Hendy
Subject: [O] Working with in-line src and fill-mode/running into new line
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 15:59:07 -0600

Greetings,

I don't use in-line code too often, but did recently and often found
myself undoing line wrapping since the code would spill into a new
line, failing to be recognized by C-c C-c. Here's an example (I have
fill-mode set to 90 characters):

#+begin_example

* in-line src

#+begin_src R :session r :exports none :results silent

ave <- mean(5, 7.5, 8, 9)
x <- 200000 * 2
y <- 400000 * 2
vol <- x + y

#+end_src

Based on data from John Doe (Sourcing), average yearly consumption is
src_R[:session
r]{round(1e-6 * vol * (ave - 2), 2) } {{{results(=3.6=)}}} MM lbs.

#+end_example

I was writing up a summary of some material usage at work and it was a
handy opportunity to use inline code in case my source data changed.
As is, the inline code block won't update the results since it's split
into two lines ("C-c C-c can do nothing useful at this location"). I'd
have to go to the end of the first paragraph's line, insert a space,
delete until the second line joined, and then do C-c C-c.

I'm guessing folks are already aware of this, so this post is two-fold:

- what are ways to work around this? I only created the full block
since having the values and mean() function added even more code to
the line. Are others doing the same, applying some fill-mode setting,
just dealing with it?

- could the behavior be modified? I would think this could be similar
to \( \) LaTeX formatting. When I used to run into issues with
$formula$ over new lines, I adopted using \( \), which works great no
matter how long the contents are. Could Org know to interpret
everything that follows =src_lang{= as code, perhaps inserting spaces
for any newlines encountered?

Thanks,
John