Re: [O] MobileOrg does not sync with local Android calendar

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: [O] MobileOrg does not sync with local Android calendar
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 14:20:02 +0100

btw, MobileOrg Android v0.9.13

* Ramon Diaz-Uriarte <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, 01-02-2016, at 12:11, Karl Voit <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Contrary to many mentions on the mailinglist, this feature never
>> worked at my side as well:
>
> Hummm... I am just looking at the config in my phone (with Android 5). I
> have checked "Synchronize with calendar".

Check.

> The calendar name is set to "org-calendar" (I think that is the
> default, since I do not recall ever having changed/set it).

Mine is "Org". But in my calendar app, there is no "Org" calendar,
just three others.

> Under "Advanced" I set "Assimilate calendar entries" (this I find
> very useful for the odd case when i enter things in the android
> calendar directly).  I have NOT checked "Delete on assimilation".

Same here.

> I do not understand why the following is leading to trouble, so I think I
> am seriously misunderstanding something.
>
>> Current situation: in MobileOrg settings, I want to choose a
>> calendar which gets populated by MobileOrg.
>
> I do not recall ever having to do anything especial here.
>
>> In the list of available calendars
>
> You mean the list that is available when you try to set the options under
> "Calendar name"?

Yes.

> I see there six entries (one for my gmail user, one for "PC Sync" that I
> have no idea what it is, then "org-calendar", a fourth called "CumpleaƱos"
> [birthdays] and then "Holidays in Spain" and a sixth one which seems to be
> the same but in Spanish).

I do have three entries, non of them named "Org".

Whenever I choose an existing calendar within MobileOrg preferences,
it stays at the non-existing "Org" calendar. I guess this is the
reason why there is no data sync to my calendar.

>> I can choose whatever calendar I want but afterwards, MobileOrg shows
>> "Org" (the default one) as the selected calendar.
>
> If I understand correctly, this is used by MobileOrg to place its entries
> in a calendar that the Android calendar will use. When the entries are
> displayed in your Android calendar, you'll see these as coming from "Org"
> (or mobile-org).

Exactly.

> Why would you not want to set it to "Org"?

I don't have an existing "Org" calendar and I could not figure out
how to create it in my calendar app and MobileOrg obviously doesn't
create it on its own.

>> Maybe it has something to do with my disabled sync settings: I don't
>> sync to the Google cloud.
>
> Aha, I think this is probably needed. I think I only get entries updated if
> I enable syncing of the calendar (but you can decide what you sync with
> google --- no need to sync everything, from email to contacts to ....).

OK, then MobileOrg -> Calendar feature is of no use to me since I
avoid the Google cloud.

That's really weird since this feature is especially useful to
people not having Google Cloud sync activated.

>> I gave up and use MobileOrg mainly for capturing and (seldom)
>> browsing my Org files for information.

OK, at least I got a confirmation that MobileOrg needs this cloud
sync stuff. How unfortunate.

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github