Re: [O] My sync setup for Org-mode files and more: unison, git (was: Req

From: Tim O'Callaghan
Subject: Re: [O] My sync setup for Org-mode files and more: unison, git (was: Require feedback on an idea: move to a central server all my org file and edit from there?)
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2016 18:08:22 +0100

Hi,

My setup uses Dropbox and encfs. It is the best cross platform
solution for managing this problem i have come across. I used to use
git repos, unison, ssh tunneling, etc, but Dropbox beats them all
hands down, and i can use it with a free account.

- Windows - Dropbox + boxcryptor classic
- Andoid - Dropbox + android Boxcryptor classic or cryptonite
- Linux/Macos - Dropbox + encfs

I created a script to automount and manage encfs and possible
conflicts on the encrypted filesystem from my bash command line. You
can find the script here:
https://github.com/timoc/encfsbox

I've been using this setup for a few years now and it auto-syncs all
of my org files, research material etc (and git repositories) securely
between multiple hosts.
I also use it to securely share org-files and working support material
with others,

The only caveat is to add this line (or add a org-mode hook) to the
top of your org file, so that if an org file is open elsewhere when
you edit your dropbox it will get auto-reloaded by emacs:

# -*- mode: org; mode:auto-revert; -*-

Dropbox manages conflict detection between the various hosts. I have
very  rarely had any conflicts between hosts. If you use my enfsbox
script it will automatically tell you if it encounters conflicts in
the encrypted files, and you can call it with the C parameter to move
the conflicted file into the encfs filesystem so you can perform a
merge.

Hope this helps.

Tim.
P.S. if you like this idea, and want to create a Dropbox account,
please use this link: https://db.tt/d1zHZ92
It donates extra dropbox storage to me, for which i will tidy-up and
publish my multi-dropbox account version and accept feature requests
via github :)