Re: [O] ox-tufte-latex

From: Thomas S . Dye
Subject: Re: [O] ox-tufte-latex
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2016 07:15:24 -1000

Hi,

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Thomas S. Dye <address@hidden> writes:
>> Oops, I meant margintable instead of marginnote.
>
> Tables have an environment.  Is that sufficient (coupled with
> :float nil)?

I think :float margin works well here, too.  Tufte has 3 table widths
corresponding to the width of the text block, text column, and margin.
Since :float multicolumn gives table* it seems most logical to have
:float margin give margintable.

>>> I've skimmed through the "sample-handout.pdf" of the
>>> tufte-latex  pkg.  marginfigure seems to be pretty similar to a
>>> figure except  that the environment is changed.  I wonder if it
>>> would be enough  to allow an :environment attribute to an
>>> image?
>>
>> My solution was :float margin.
>
> Hmm.  How about a attr :environment for figures?  Wouldn't that be
> sufficient for this problem.

Again, there is :float multicolumn which seems to me analogous to :float
margin.

>>> Marginnotes.  I don’t think we have a concept like this.  I
>>> guess  it would be an attribute to a footnote.  Which you
>>> incidentally  asked about.  Would you use more than one type of
>>> footnotes in a  single document?
>>
>> Marginnotes aren't numbered.  I don't think there is a similar
>> Org mode concept.  I use a link to make them, so I don't need an
>> Org-mode counterpart.
>>
>> ,------------------------------------------------------------- |
>> [[latex-opt:marginnote][The journals of Captain Cook and his |
>> crew contain the first written descriptions of old           |
>> Hawai`i.;-3\baselineskip]]
>> `-------------------------------------------------------------
>
> As you might’ve guessed, I’m not a fan of this solution.  Whether
> it’s numbered or not in the output, a [mn:N] or [sn:N] reference
> is more Orgish.  I cannot, however, speak to how difficult it
> would be to add more note types.

It seems appropriate to me, given the existing functionality of Org mode
and the fact that a marginnote is not a standard LaTeX construct.
Though, I'd happily use something like [mn:N] if it were available.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye