[O] Building source code cross-reference?

From: Peter Davis
Subject: [O] Building source code cross-reference?
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2016 10:23:23 -0500

I'm doing some Ruby on Rails development now, and I find it very difficult to
keep track of which files are involved in which
features in a complex project. For any given Web page, each feature might have
its own /view/, which in turn has its own /controller/,
and may involve one or more /models/, and so forth. There may be helpers,
stylesheets, etc. which all apply.

So now I'm thinking I can build a cross-reference, so when I have to revisit
something I worked on months ago, I can jump straight
to the relevant line in each of these files. I know org-mode files can contain
file references, including line numbers, so I can do
something like:

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
 * Product Listing
   * [[~/blahblahblah/app/controllers/product_controller.rb::123][listing
method]]
   * [[~/blahblahblah/app/views/product/listings.html.erb::456][listing view]]
#+END_EXAMPLE

and so on. This would be extremely helpful.

I know I can build this by hand, but I wondered if anyone had found a way to
automate or partially automate building a cross
reference like this. It seems like org-capture comes close, with a little
coaxing and customization. If there are similar tools for
other languages, I'd love to hear about those. (I know about doxygen, but
there's no ruby-on-rails version of that, as far as I can
tell.)

Thoughts?

Thanks!
-pd