Re: [O] ox-tufte-latex

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] ox-tufte-latex
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 13:35:12 -0600

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 6:26 PM, Thomas S. Dye <address@hidden> wrote:
> Aloha all,
>
> I've cobbled together an exporter for the Tufte LaTeX classes, which I'd
> like to contribute to Org mode contrib/.  A brief description of the
> derived backend can be found below, and I've attached the
> ox-tufte-latex.el file for the review described on
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html.

Hi Tom,

Just gave this a whirl and am not sure if I'm doing something wrong. I
think I have all of the required LaTeX packages.[1] I may have missed
it, but I didn't see instructions that explicitly stated how to export
the file tufte-latex.org. I assumed I could just =C-c C-e l p= like a
typical LaTeX/pdf export? I've attached the output of *Org PDF LaTeX
Ouput* if that shows what might have happened. It's *pretty* close,
but the helix doesn't appear in the margin and the commands
\mainmatter, \backmatter, etc. aren't registering.

I added the path ~/.elisp/tufte-org-mode to .emacs and also accepted
the local variables with "y" when I started .emacs and opened the
file.

For another check, I looked at TexLive 2016's tufte-latex-book.cls:
```
$ head .texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/tufte-latex/tufte-book.cls
\NeedsTeXFormat{LaTeX2e}[1994/06/01]

%% note; handout is the same at v3.5.2
\ProvidesClass{tufte-book}[2015/06/21 v3.5.2 Tufte-book class]
```

I think that should meet the > v3.2 requirement (also looks like the
linked website is up to 3.5.2, so that seems to match with me being up
to date).

Anyway, hope that's a fair amount of information to help start the
troubleshooting process!

Thanks,
John

[1] note on that: xparse in TexLive appears to be provided by
l3packages, as an FYI. I tried `tlmgr install xparse` and got a
warning that it wasn't in the repository. Just a heads up potentially
for the docs?