Re: [O] Precision in the spreadsheet

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] Precision in the spreadsheet
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 17:08:34 +0000

On Tuesday,  1 Mar 2016 at 11:59, Nick Dokos wrote:
> Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> is it at all possible to set different precision for display and
>> calculations in Org's spreadsheet?  I mean, things like $1+$2;%.2f (as
>> in the manual) mean (IIUC) that (1) Org should show 2 decimal figures
>> and (2) further calculations which use this value also use this
>> approximation.  Am I right?  If yes, is there a way to change this
>> behavior?  (I suspect not, but I wanted to make sure.)
>>

> I believe that internally, calculations are done in 12-decimal place
> precision: the %.2f is for display only.

Actually, surprisingly (to me), it appears not.  This simple example
gives different results depending on the formatting of the first entry:

#+begin_src org
  ,* table
  | 0.1 |
  |  1. |
  | 10. |
  ,#+TBLFM: @1$1=1/8;%.1f::@address@hidden::@address@hidden
#+end_src

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.91.1, Org release_8.3.4-626-gb62d55