Re: [O] [OT] Git plus Syncthing: breaking hard links

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] [OT] Git plus Syncthing: breaking hard links
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2016 14:41:10 +0800

Tim Howes <address@hidden> writes:

> To avoid data loss, Syncthing creates a temporary file during transfer
> with the name ~syncthing~.{filename}.tmp
>
> If the transfer completes successfully, then it moves that file in place
> of the previous version. It's a new inode, not an update of the previous
> inode, so the hard link will be lost.

Ugh, that's what I was starting to suspect.

> Instead of using hard links, you could share your git repo folder
> directly using Syncthing, but use an .stignore file to exclude the files
> that you want to keep private (such as the .git directory).

Luckily you're right -- it isn't all that hard to work around. I'm
currently using one git repo to manage both my work-related *and*
personal Org files, and there's no particular reason to be doing that.
I'll split the repos, keep the work one in the Syncthing folder, and
sidestep the problem altogether.

Thanks to all who responded!

Eric