Re: [O] babel result chain outdated/inconsistent using var

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] babel result chain outdated/inconsistent using var
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2016 21:27:14 +0200

Daniele Pizzolli <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks Nicolas for the reply.  Ok, but `org-babel-execute-buffer'
> produces an inconsistent document right now.

This is because you ask it to. See below.

> Mmm, the same reasoning can be used for arguing about the current
> behaviour: If I C-c C-c on a block, I expect only the code of the
> block to be executed, not some other part of the document I am
> editing.  This behaviour will fix my issue.

You are explicitly asking for a re-execution of a remote source block:

  :var DATA=pid

If you are only interested in the results, you should name them, and use
that instead, e.g.

  #+NAME: pid
  #+BEGIN_SRC shell :results value :cache no
  printf '%s' "${$}"
  #+END_SRC

  The following result is usually outdated/inconsistent!

  #+NAME: pid-result
  #+RESULTS: pid
  : 21867

  #+NAME: echo-pid
  #+BEGIN_SRC shell :var DATA=pid-result :results value
  printf '%s' "${DATA}"
  #+END_SRC

  #+RESULTS: echo-pid
  : 21867