Re: [O] [OT] Git plus Syncthing: breaking hard links

From: Adam Porter
Subject: Re: [O] [OT] Git plus Syncthing: breaking hard links
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 23:47:40 +0000 (UTC)

Hi again Eric,

On second thought, while symlinks may be worth trying, they might not work.
 I've noticed similar issues using Dropbox.

If you put the file in your git repo and the symlink in Syncthing's repo,
I'm guessing Syncthing will not follow the symlink, in which case it
wouldn't sync the contents of the file.  (I don't use Syncthing, so I could
be wrong.  If I am wrong, then this would probably solve the problem for you.)

If you put the file in Syncthing and the symlink in the git repo, git will
definitely not follow the symlink, so it will only store the symlink itself,
meaning the file contents would no longer be stored in git.  (This could
work, but I doubt it's what you want.)

It sounds like your workaround will solve the problem for you, so that's
great.  One suggestion though: I recommend excluding the .git directory from
Syncthing.  If anything happened on the other end and the git repo were
accidentally corrupted, or if it was committed to on both ends before the
changes were synced, your git repo could end up corrupted, and fixing it
could be a lot of trouble.

I've had a few problems like this before, so I no longer store VCS repos in
Dropbox.  I keep all my Org files in git repos, and I sync the Org files
themselves, but the git repos are local to each system.

Hope this helps!