Re: [O] [OT] A new web browser‽

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] [OT] A new web browser‽
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2016 10:26:15 +0800

Adam Porter <address@hidden> writes:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork <at> mbork.pl> writes:
>
>> https://vivaldi.com/
>>
>> Did anyone hear about it?  Any thoughts/experiences?  "Taking notes
>> while browsing" seems to be something close to org-capture, no?
>> Keyboard-driven might mean either vim-like or emacs-like bindings, or
>> (hopefully) configurable ones.  I, for one, would like to try it out,
>> though I do not have too high hopes.
>
> It looks interesting, but it's not free software, so I have no interest
> myself.  Firefox/Iceweasel has been serving me well since before it was
> Firefox, and Pentadactyl has been my primary UI to it for a long time.  I
> don't feel like Mozilla is taking it in a good direction anymore, but if it
> ever gets too bad, there's Iceweasel, and there's Pale Moon (which has
> committed to "classic" Firefox extension APIs and UI), and there are other
> alternatives like Conkeror, uzbl, etc.
>
> Even if you don't care about free software, Vivaldi is made by former Opera
> devs, so how do we know they aren't just repeating a cycle?  It could go the
> same direction Opera went and need to be rebooted again.  As long as it's
> proprietary, that's a risk its users will always face.

I've been using Conkeror (based on Xulrunner/Firefox) for a while now,
and like it enough to stick with it. It's completely keyboard driven,
which I love. It's also not super stable, nor does it seem to be
actively maintained, which I don't love. If anyone has recommendations
for better keyboard-driven browsers, I'd love to hear them...