Re: [O] footnotes and exported latex

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] footnotes and exported latex
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 09:36:31 -0500

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 7:44 AM, Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thursday, 14 Apr 2016 at 10:41, Sharon Kimble wrote:
>> When exporting an org file to latex the first instance of a footnote
>> shows as [fn:1] in the org-file, and its numbered footnote reference in
>> the latexed pdf. However, if I refer to that footnote later in the
>> org-file, then its shown as [fn:1] again, but, in the latexed pdf it
>> just shows as a superscript 1 without any reference to the fact that its
>> actually a footnote again.
>
> What would you expect otherwise?  In other words, this is the correct
> behaviour.  If you want the footnote to appear again at the bottom of
> the page, this is a new footnote that just happens to have the same
> content...  so create the new footnote yourself.

Generally agree with Eric. The only thing missing, theoretically, is
the ability to hyperjump to the footnote, but the reader can scan the
bottom of the pages to match up the number themselves...

Here's some information that might help do this if you feel you must:
-
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/35043/reference-different-places-to-the-same-footnote

I think the second answer is interesting, starting out with:

#+begin_quote
Have you ever seen that in a book? Probably not. Because: Two
footnotemarks numbered with e.g. an "8" raise the question whether it
is a typo.
#+end_quote

I rather like the suggestion to switch to endnotes instead if you want
to do this often, as that's how I'm used to seeing multiple references
cited. That said, my recollection is generally that the number isn't
used over and over, but something like the title or author. So the
first time you may quote something with the endnote reference
included, but subsequently you'd just say "Kimble et al. also found
that... (Kimble, 2016)" and this would be sufficient to track down the
right reference. I've seen non-chronological endnotes as well,
arranged by author's last name/year to simplify finding a reference.

Anyway, hope that helps find something that works with your use case!

John