Re: [O] Detect parent with SCHEDULED or DEADLINE

From: Christophe Schockaert
Subject: Re: [O] Detect parent with SCHEDULED or DEADLINE
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 23:28:43 +0200

Nicolas Goaziou writes:

> Adam Porter <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Ah, I see.  So I guess the solution to Christophe's issue is to use
>> this:
>>
>> #+BEGIN_SRC elisp
[...]
>>         (inherited-scheduled (org-entry-get "SCHEDULED" t))
[...]
>> #+END_SRC
>
> I don't think so. You cannot force inheritance for a special property,
> which obey to its own rules. The optional argument is going to be
> ignored. If the OP wants to get the SCHEDULED value of the current
> headline or any of its parent, he can move up the hierarchy with
> `org-up-heading-safe', calling `org-entry-get' at each stop.
>
> Regards,

Thank you Adam and Nicolas for your answers,

I know have a better picture how things work in Org, and I also
understand why '(org-entry-get "DEADLINE" t)' returned 'nil' when called
directly from the org-file.

I could rewrite my function using 'org-up-heading-safe' and
'org-entry-get', and it gets the expected result in the agenda view :-)

I am starting to enjoy ELisp, and I graduately become better at it.

Cheerful thanks,

Christophe

--
--------------->  mailto:address@hidden
Once it's perfectly aimed, the flying arrow goes straight to its target.