[O] Composing long tables

From: Peter Davis
Subject: [O] Composing long tables
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 09:43:30 -0400

It seems that a lot of users would like to be able to create tables with multi-line cells in org-mode. Both HTML and LaTeX/PDF support this, so I think it would be very useful to have a way to do this in org-mode directly. One syntax that comes to mind would be to simply use a number of "|" characters at the start of a line/paragraph to indicate the column:

| This is column 1
|| This is column 2, which might consist of a very long paragraph (or even multiple paragraphs) would could automatically wrap when exporting to LaTeX/PDF or to HTML (or to other table-friendly formats.)
||| This is column 3,

Admittedly this is not as readable as a table when editing in org-mode, but it seems intuitively clear, and would certainly make creating tables for export easier.

Just an idea. I'd welcome comments on this. (Note: I have nowhere near the knowledge of lisp or org-mode implementation to be able to do this.)

Thanks,
-pd

--
----