[O] Using source blocks instead of Ansible

From: William Denton
Subject: [O] Using source blocks instead of Ansible
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 14:10:07 -0400 (EDT)

Is anyone using Org for remote configuration management instead of a tool like Ansible?

For example: I like to install R from source to /usr/local/src/R/ so that I always have the latest version. I do this (changing the version numbers as needed, though looking at it now I see I should set the version number as a variable):

#+BEGIN_SRC shell
cd /usr/local/src/R
curl -O http://cran.utstat.utoronto.ca/src/base/R-3/R-3.2.4.tar.gz
tar xzvf R-3.2.4.tar.gz
cd R-3.2.4
./configure
make
make check
cd ..
rm -f R Rscript
ln -s R-3.2.4/bin/R R
ln -s R-3.2.4/bin/Rscript Rscript
#+END_SRC

I do that on a few machines and copy and paste as needed.  Now, I could use

:dir /address@hidden:

to run that on another machine. And if I want to run that on multiple machines I could change the target as needed.

Has anyone taken this to the next level so it's easier to manage tasks like this, more reproducible, tidier, and closer to Ansible or Chef? If so I'd love to see an example. Or if anyone's tried and found it's just easier to use a proper purpose-built system, that's good to know too.

Looking in the archives I see there was mention a couple of years ago of org-converge, but it's idle:

https://github.com/wallyqs/org-converge

Cheers,

Bill
--