Re: [O] pandoc-style citations

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] pandoc-style citations
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 16:36:46 -0400

> Org-ref does a lot of nice things, but on this particular point is not
> very helpful, and has nothing to add for the case of multiple cites with
> overall and individual pre/posts. The package states that this is low
> priority b/c this style of citation is rare in scientific publishing (by
> which I guess is meant natural sciences; footnotes with multiple
> citations and linking text are of common in humanities and some social
> sciences).

Fair enough. I don't think the standard link syntax is rich enough for this.

I worked out the basis for an alternative approach here:
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2015/02/05/Extending-the-org-mode-link-syntax-with-attributes/
that might also be adaptable for your use case. It basically gets
towards the cite syntax but doesn't require adding new elements and
other things.

I updated the org-ref docs on why we don't currently do more than the
simple pre/post text. I don't have anything against supporting more, I
just don't know how to do it, or when it would be right ;)

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F