Re: [O] How to reorder a footnote list?

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: [O] How to reorder a footnote list?
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 12:09:20 +0100

Adam Porter <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't understand: you want the footnotes to be in reverse order?  I
> know very little about latex, so I'm sorry if this is just noise.

Thanks Adam. Org-mode likes to set the footnotes in its 'reference'
section in reverse order, i.e. [fn:60] [fn:59] etc. But in my case it
was going [fn:1] [fn:2] etc. So I manually reordered them but I still
wasn't able to export my file, so I looked at the footnote references
*in* the document and found that they were all [1] [2] etc. Somehow it
had lost 'fn:*' before each reference number, so I went through the
document just reinstating the missing 'fn:' and now it all works again.

> BTW, this won't help now, and is not meant to be snarky, but keeping
> your org files in a git repo would help with a situation like this,
> because you could find the commit where the change happened and get the
> old text back.  I use a combination of real-auto-save-mode, a cron job,
> and a "raise-or-run" script that automatically commits my org file
> changes to git either every 15 minutes or every time I hide Emacs with
> the script.  It has saved me a few times when I accidentally deleted
> subtrees without realizing it until days later (probably had a region
> marked by accident and then typed over it or something like that).

I do have git set up to auto-commit in certain working files to every 4
hours, so I did look at the git log but wasn't able to find when the
error had occurred, so I sorted it all out manually. But I have now set
the cron job to work every 15 minutes between 0600 and 2200, I don't see
the sense of doing it when I'm in bed! But thanks for the idea.

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian 8.4, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 25.0.93