Re: [O] Clocking work time vs. office time

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: [O] Clocking work time vs. office time
Date: Mon, 02 May 2016 22:39:58 +0200

On 2016-04-29, at 16:51, Brett Viren <address@hidden> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On 2016-04-29, at 11:21, Michael Welle <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> writes:
>>> I assume that you use a laptop or some other portable device? In that
>>> case you can grep the IP address (which might change when you change
>>> workplaces) and timestamps from the log files (or create a script that
>>> logs the IP address changes to an ORG file) and then somehow (coughcough)
>>> integrate that into your report.
>>
>> That's actually an interesting (and not standard) idea.  Even moreso
>> because I'm writing a RescueTime-like time-tracking tool for Emacs,
>> working (unlike Org's clocking) without manual intervention - recording
>> the state of computer (i.e., current idle time, active X window, active
>> Emacs buffer name and mode) at regular (or not) intervals and making
>> reports.  I did not include any network-related info, but this would be
>> easy to add.  Thanks, I'll definitely think about it!
>
> Along similar lines, how about running a process on a computer near
> where you dwell at work which watches for your mobile phone's bluetooth
> ID.  Recording when your phone enters/exits its range will sample the
> time you are physically present.  If you roam around at work you will
> need to remember to visit the BT range at the start and at the end of
> your day in order to get a full measure.  And, you'll need to process
> the samples to pull out the earliest/latest times to calculate the time
> present.  This post-processing can emit Org text or whatever format you
> want.
>
> Looking at what bluetooth stuff is available on Ubuntu, "bluemon" seems
> perfect for the heavy lifting.  Your OS may vary.
>

> There are also Android apps that do this kind of locating directly using
> GPS/WiFi location and uploading the results to google drive or similar.
> However, I've never managed to find one which I can make work reliably.

Thanks, this is also interesting, though of no use for me personally;
I turn bluetooth on very seldom on my phone (maybe every few months for
a few minutes, when I want to send some pictures to my wife's phone or
something).  Similarly for the GPS; I use it much more often, but still
not all the time.

> -Brett.

Thanks and best regards,

--