Re: [O] Using tramp to run R source code blocks on remote server

From: Benda Xu
Subject: Re: [O] Using tramp to run R source code blocks on remote server
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 13:04:56 +0900

Hi Vikas,

I cannot address your problem directly.  I have a workaround.

Vikas Rawal <address@hidden> writes:

> I am trying to run R source code blocks on a remote server (defined in
> my ~/.ssh/config as cesp).
>
> I am facing several problems.
>
> 1.  The following sample block, when used with ":results value" does
> not give any results.
>
> #+NAME: level1
> #+begin_src R :results value :exports results :colnames yes :hline yes
> :session cesp :dir /cesp:/home/vikas/
> c(1:5)
> #+end_src
>
> I get the following message:
>
> tramp-flush-directory-property: Wrong type argument: arrayp, nil
>
> I get the expected output if I use ":results output”, but I don’t want
> that.

I have gone through similar pains as you did.

> 2. Is there a way to be able to use screen/byobu with remote
> processing? I have tried various options of using shell, term, or
> ansi-term. Each of them gives some problem or the other. Does anyone
> have experience with using any of these?

This might be possible with the future async executions.

For the moment, I have settled down with the following solution:

  1. Tangle each source blocks as a script to the remote host.

  2. Tangle a Makefile to manage the execution, e.g. how the scripts are
     executed with which arguments.

  3. Login the remote host and open a tmux session and run "make" in the
     tangled directory.

With this workflow, all the programs are managed by org-mode, and they
are executed asychronously.  At the same time, I lose the flexibility to
run the scripts in a org spawned session, which is a trade-off.

Cheers,
Benda