[O] Unique org version for dev builds? (Was: org -> org export ignores l

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: [O] Unique org version for dev builds? (Was: org -> org export ignores latex ..)
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 15:31:44 +0000

Hi Bastien, Achim,

I have added you to this thread to get help on how to make it easy to identify if the current version of org-mode is the dev build.

As of now, M-x org-version shows "Org-mode version 8.3.4 .." for both master and maint build of org-mode. Would it be possible to have the version show something like "Org-mode version 8.3.4-dev .." for master branch builds?

That allows a quick visual confirmation if someone is using the dev or stable build. Also it would be useful in creating version checking elisp wrappers around not-yet-released org-mode code in personal configs.

Something like below would then be possible

(if (org-mode-dev-p)
    (progn
      ;; new style
      )
  (progn
    ;; old style
    ))

Thanks.

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 11:45 AM Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

Kaushal Modi <address@hidden> writes:

> It would have been nice if the master branch built version showed a
> different numerical version number than the one on the maint branch. Or
> probably some prefix like dev/master? Nicolas?

Deciding the next version number ahead of time isn't always right from
the beginning of the branch. I guess a "dev" suffix should be enough.

However, I don't know how to change the release tag, which is defined in
a somewhat convoluted way. Bastien or Achim probably know how to do it.

Kaushal Modi