Re: [O] template for writing Emacs manuals in Org

From: Jonathan Leech-Pepin
Subject: Re: [O] template for writing Emacs manuals in Org
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 10:56:02 -0400

Hi,

On May 18, 2016 5:21:06 AM EDT, Rasmus <address@hidden> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I believe the main obstacle is that the emacs policy requires a
>texinfo
>> manual for all its component parts.
>
>What is the "component parts"?  I couldn't find the definition.
>
>>  If that can be generated automatically from the org document, then
>any
>> objections probably disappear. Of course, Bastien might object to the
>> extra effort required to do the conversion, but if the conversion is
>> indeed completely automatic (or, perhaps more likely, a volunteer can
>be
>> found to take care of the conversion and any problems that might
>arise),
>> then he might be amenable to it. But it would be an extra step
>required
>> at release time and would require some coordination.
>
>My issue is all the damn macros.  While it displays the flexibility of
>Org, it also makes Org-for-texinfo-manuals less appealing.  I don’t
>want
>to learn new mini documentation language for each manual I might send
>patches to.
>
>Maybe a "Library-of-Macros" would go some of the way of at least making
>it
>feel less ad-hoc?
>
>Another annoyance.  When I see something like the an index right after
>headline, I really would like to put the index into the properties
>drawer:
>
>     ** Installation
>        :PROPERTIES:
>        :END:
>
>     {{{cindex(installation)}}}

I’m trying to remember why I didn’t implement indexes as properties (it may
well have been because I simply didn’t consider it).  Assuming there’s nothing
in the exporter to prevent converting properties to text after headlines it
could work. Treat comma separated values as separate entries.

Then using the macro would only be needed if indexing at content rather than at
a headline (use lower level headlines that do not become nodes and it could
still work).

--
Jon