[O] Litteral :var passing buggy for shell execution in org-babel when in

From: Olivier Berger
Subject: [O] Litteral :var passing buggy for shell execution in org-babel when in :session
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 16:08:47 +0200

Hi.

I'm trying to apply the approach of litteral devops described in
http://www.howardism.org/Technical/Emacs/literate-devops.html and
noticed the following issue.

I'm trying to use execute shell blocks of the following form ("remote"
execution of
commands inside a Vagrant VM via tramp through ssh, using a shell mode session)
:

 #+BEGIN_SRC sh :dir /symfonyvm:/vagrant :var SYNCEDDIR="/vagrant" :results
drawer :session centosvm
 ls $SYNCEDDIR
 #+END_SRC

This works well when not using a session, but when using the session,
the variable evaluation gets stuck, and when interrupted, I can see the
following inside the "centosvm" shell buffer :

 /scp:symfonyvm: #$ SYNCEDDIR=$(cat <<'BABEL_TABLE'

The substitution doesn't seem to happen well over tramp in that case,
somehow.

Typing C-c C-d in the shell session allows me to recover.

I suspect an issue related to tramp + session, incompatible with the
variable initialisation mechanism.

Any clue ?

My setup should be org-mode version : 8.3.4 and normally, ob-sh.el
supposedly stock emacs in Debian testing context...

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
--
Olivier BERGER