[O] Footnotes problem when exporting from org to org

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: [O] Footnotes problem when exporting from org to org
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 22:18:40 -0400

I start with an org file like this:

* Foo
Footnote [fn:1]

* Bar
And another [fn:2]

* Footnotes

[fn:1] footnote 1

[fn:2] footnote 2

and do an org->org export (C-c C-e O O). In this case, I expected the
result to be more or less a clone of the original ( although in my real
workflow, there are some changes: some sections are not exported and
there is some string replacement in the result - I plan to export the
result to HTML eventually). In particular, I expected the footnotes to be
preserved but they seem broken:

# Created 2016-05-24 Tue 22:06
#+TITLE:
#+AUTHOR: Nick Dokos
* Foo
Footnote [fn:1]

[1] footnote 1

* Bar
And another [fn:2]

[2] footnote 2

Trying to export the result to HTML complains about "Definition not
found" for each footnote.

Bug? Or am I expecting too much?

Org-mode version 8.3.4 (release_8.3.4-843-gc20f51)

Thanks!
--
Nick