Re: [O] [BUG] error with org-refile and ido-completion-help

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: Re: [O] [BUG] error with org-refile and ido-completion-help
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 16:49:38 -0500

>> A git bisect revealed that the change was introduced in 2015 with the
>> following commit:
>>
>> ,----
>> | commit 50ba0a5ed609f3600f2590f3ba22b8ab3ff3331c
>> | Author: Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden>
>> | Date:   Sun Jun 7 00:38:58 2015 +0200
>> |
>> |     Fix 1a7364177046b8a57ade0aeb9f52bacfc0b8b088
>> |
>> |     * lisp/org.el (org-icompleting-read): Let `completing-read' or
>> |       equivalent sort out type of completion.
>> |     (org-olpath-completing-read): Revert partially
>> |     1a7364177046b8a57ade0aeb9f52bacfc0b8b088.
>> `----
>>
>> It looks like this commit removed some functionality from the now
>> obsolete org-icompleting-read that made sure that the items in the
>> completion list passed to the completing read function were strings.
>
> Actually, this is a bug in "ido.el", since `ido-completing-read' is not
> a drop-in replacement for `completing-read'.  The latter accepts lists
> of strings, but also alist, obarrays and hash tables. The former accepts
> only list of strings.
>
> I suggest to report the bug to "ido.el" maintainers since they probably
> want to preserve compatibility between the completion functions.

OK. Thanks. I see that a bug report has been on the emacs list since
2013:

For the time being, it's easy enough to write a custom wrapper around
ido-completing-read, so I think I'll do that.

It's worth nothing that the author of patch that originally added the
completing-read-function variable did not anticipate that
ido-completing-read would be a simple drop-in for completing-read:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/134000

For a long time (since at least 2009), org-mode had built-in support for
ido-mode completion when refiling. So this does seem to be a deprecation
of longstanding org-mode functionality.

I'll see if we can add something to the docstrings to alert of the need
to write a wrapper around ido-completing-read.

Matt