Re: [O] Restricting admisible tags depending on header

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: [O] Restricting admisible tags depending on header
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2016 23:26:46 +0200

Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:

> I'll like to offer only certain tags depending on the contents of the
> current header. For instance, if the header is
>
> * Status
>
> I want to see only "open" and "closed" on the options shown by
> org-fast-tag-selection.
>
> Currently I define quite a lot of tags with #+TAGS:, most of them are
> intended to be assigned to a specific header. Having so many tags
> displayed by org-fast-tag-selection is confusing, error-prone and breaks
> the selection method (org-fast-tag-selection runs out of letters).
>
> I'm thinking on advising org-fast-tag-selection and prune the list of
> acceptable tags before calling the real function, but maybe there is a
> better method.

Thanks to all who responded, both off- and on-list.

At the end, I opted for advising org-fast-tag-selection. Now, for a
given heading, a tag group with the same name provides the admisible
tags:

#+TAGS: [ Status : { open closed }  ]
#+TAGS: [ Status : { done(d) postponed cancelled wontfix worksforme invalid } ]
#+TAGS: [ Type : { task defect enhancement feedback test } ]
#+TAGS: [ Severity : { critical major minor cosmetic } ]
#+TAGS: [ Priority : { top high medium low } ]

* Status
* Type
* Severity
* Priority

Code:

(defun ofv-issues-tags-for-heading (h)
  (setq h (org-no-properties h))
  (let (check-name-p collect-tags-p specific-tags)
    (dolist (tag org-tag-alist)
      (cond
       ((eq (car tag) ':endgrouptag)
        (setq collect-tags-p nil))
       ((eq (car tag) ':startgrouptag)
        (setq check-name-p t))
       (collect-tags-p
        (push tag specific-tags))
       (check-name-p
        (setq collect-tags-p (equal (car tag) h))
        (setq check-name-p nil))))
    specific-tags))

(defun ofv-issues-org-fast-tag-selection (args)
  ;; The `table' parameter of `org-fast-tag-selection' contains a
  ;; uniquified list, which removes duplicated group tag names.
  ;; `ofv-issues-tags-for-heading' uses the contents of
  ;; `org-tag-alist'.
  (let ((specific-tags (ofv-issues-tags-for-heading (org-get-heading t t))))
    (when specific-tags
      (setcar (nthcdr 2 args) (nreverse specific-tags))))
  args)

(advice-add 'org-fast-tag-selection :filter-args
            'ofv-issues-org-fast-tag-selection)