[O] Proposal to use sqlcmd for connecting to SQL Server

From: Xi Shen
Subject: [O] Proposal to use sqlcmd for connecting to SQL Server
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 07:04:09 +0000

Hi,

I tried the use the msosql engine in org-mode, but it cannot format the result into a table. I think MS has made some change that the output of the command is not compatible with org-mode. More specifically, the output add "1> 2> 3> 4>  " to the begging and break the table formatting. I saw this result on Windows 7 with osql 10.50.1600.1.

However, I found that the output of "sqlcmd" can be formatted into a table in org-mode correctly without any trick.

osql and sqlcmd take similar command arguments, with sqlcmd has more options. I think it is safe to simply replace the "osql" command into "sqlcmd" command in the ob-sql.el file.

The only major difference between these two tools are: osql uses ODBC to connect to the server; while sqlcmd uses the fancy native client to connect to the server.

I would like to hear ideas/suggestions about this.

Thanks,
David

--

Thanks,