Re: [O] Should org-get-outline-path strip dedicated targets?

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Should org-get-outline-path strip dedicated targets?
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2016 10:19:39 +0200

Hello,

timor <address@hidden> writes:

> If I have a document like this:
>
> * some header <<some_target>>
> ** some subtree
> *** some entry
>
> Then calling org-get-outline-path on the deepest headline returns
> ("some header <<some_target>>" "some subtree")
>
> I don't know what exactly org-get-outline-path is used for in org
> mode, but for what I want to use it, I will remove the
> "<<some_target>>" part manually.
>
> I was just wondering if maybe this should already be done in
> org-get-outline-path itself, since links are also replaced by their
> description according to the documentation.

Links and targets are different in the sense that the former has an
invisible part, unlike to the latter. `org-get-outline-path' simply
removes that part since users probably do not distinguish their headings
using hidden characters.

OTOH, it could make sense to preserve targets, e.g., in the following:

  * Doc 1
  ** Introduction <<intro1>>
  * Doc 2
  ** Introduction <<intro2>>

Eventually, albeit tangential to the problem, I think using a CUSTOM_ID
is probably better than inserting a target in a headline.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou