Re: [O] MobileOrg: adding new file

From: Philip Hudson
Subject: Re: [O] MobileOrg: adding new file
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 09:46:14 +0100

On 14 June 2016 at 13:20, Benoît Coste <address@hidden> wrote:
> So what I wanted to discuss was the possibility for a MobileOrg to create
> new files from its phone and keep them synched.
>
> Currently the list of synched files is a file called "index.org" stored in
> the synch folder and Emacs and MobileOrg use ite for pulling changes.
> However everytime Emacs pushes a changes, it overwrites this file. Because
> for pushing, Emacs use a second list of files, the variable
> 'org-agenda-files and it will recreate a new index.org based on
> org-agenda-files content. To conclude, if MobileOrg had added a file to
> synch in index.org, it will be removed from the list after next Emacs push.
>
> So my suggestion is for Emacs to stop using org-agenda-files to generate the
> list of synched file but use the currently existing index.org. In case
> index.org does not exist (for eg. at repo initialization), then
> org-agenda-files can be used to create it.
>
> To be honest, after a lot of reflexion, I think more and more about using a
> external synch mechanism (such as git) instead of using org-mobile.el. A
> positive point would be to allow non-Emacs people to use MobileOrg with
> synchronization. So I may not even use my own suggestion but I still think
> it is worth to mention this "incoherence".
>
> Regards
>
> On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 3:24 PM Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Benoît Coste <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > I am working on remodeling MobileOrg for Android and I'd like to discuss
>> > few changes for mobile-org.el.
>>
>> I read your mail from a month ago. Unfortunately, I don't know enough of
>> this library to be useful to the discussion.
>>
>> > I am trying to contact the maintainer of mobile org. The file
>> > mobile-org.el
>> > says address@hidden but I tried it and it is not working. Does
>> > anyone
>> > know who is currently maintaining mobile-org.el ?
>>
>> It is part of Org core, so anyone with write access to repository can
>> maintain it. The current maintainer is Bastien Guerry, who reads this
>> list. IOW, you can discuss the changes here.

There is already one-way information transfer from MobileOrg to Emacs,
via the file mobileorg.org. This is processed by `org-mobile-pull'.
Could it be adapted to include a new instruction type for telling
Emacs about any new files to include? Function `org-mobile-apply'
looks like the one to modify (and rename meaningfully, and
functionally decompose...)

--
Phil Hudson                   http://hudson-it.ddns.net
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63