Re: [O] how to speed up an org-mode file?

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: [O] how to speed up an org-mode file?
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 12:49:30 +0100

> Hello,
>
> Sharon Kimble <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I'm working on an org-mode file about cancer which is 945.1kb, is
>> converted to a tex file of 1.0mb and a pdf of 2.0mb with 505 pages. The
>> conversion is done through this code snippet '(global-set-key (kbd
>> "s-#") 'org-latex-export-to-latex)'. There is no problem with the
>> conversion to tex or conversion to pdf.
>>
>> However, the org-mode file is increasingly slowing down and becoming
>> difficult to move about within the file, and also enter new information
>> within it.
>>
>> How then can I speed it up within the org file please?
>
> It would help to have some profiling to determine where the bottleneck
> is. You could use `elp-instrument-package' on "org-" prefix and report
> results here.

What I've done has been to split the cancer file up into 2, cancer.org
being 445k, and cancer-1.org being 544k. I initially had misgivings
about it with regard to footnotes, but they seem to be working okay, and
both files are now very easy to add to and also move around in.

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian 8.4, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 25.0.95