Re: [O] proposed modification of org-display-inline-images

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] proposed modification of org-display-inline-images
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 12:18:18 +0200

Hi,

Thanks for the proposal.

John Kitchin <address@hidden> writes:

> I would like to propose a change to org-display-inline-images so it can
> rescale images even if imagemagick is not built in to emacs. There is
> currently no way to rescale images when they are displayed in that case
> AFAICS. This is particularly a problem on Windows, as we have never
> found a binary linked to imagemagick for that platform.

This sounds like an Emacs problem.  There was some talk about the
rescaling issue here:

    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/174318/

And maybe here:

    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/200568/focus=203024

> I propose we define a new customizable variable called something like
> org-inline-image-resize-function, and a function that takes a filename
> and the resize options, and returns a path to a resized function (in the
> temporary directory). The variable isn't technically necessary, but if
> someone wanted to use an alternative function, it would enable it.
>
> This function would use the "convert" program from imagemagick to do the
> resizing.  This program can be installed independently on all the
> platforms I think.

Why limit this to Org?  A solution should be implemented in image.el.

> Since this is just for display in org, I suggest that we use a syntax like:
>
> #+attr_org: :resize resize-options
> [[./file.png]]
>
> the resize-options could be anything here:
> http://www.imagemagick.org/script/command-line-processing.php#geometry
>
> It would enable things like:
>
> reduce size by 50%
> #+attr_org: :resize 50%
>
> set width to 300, preserving aspect ratio
> #+attr_org: :resize 300
>
> set height to 200, and preserve aspect ratio
> #+attr_org: :resize x200
>
> set size to 200x300 and change aspect ratio
> #+attr_org: :resize 200x300!
>
> Any thoughts on this proposal?

This is misusing attr_org, isn’t it?  Don’t particularly care for this
"API"...  All is IMO, of course.

Rasmus

--
I almost cut my hair, it happened just the other day