Re: [O] working with tables can be quite painful...

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] working with tables can be quite painful...
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 09:33:24 +0100

On Saturday, 17 Sep 2016 at 08:48, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

[...]

> Could you send a profiler report so that I can get a better glimpse on
> what part of `org-table-align' is lagging?

Hi Nicolas,

this morning, working on the same table is much less painful.  I've run
the profile and did some movements and changes to the table and here is
the output from the profiler (I can send you the full report if you
wish).

I know that if I narrow the buffer to just the section (headline and
contents) that contains the table, the performance is
better. Anecdotally, it would seem that the performance degrades over
time so I wonder if there is a cache issue?

My gut feeling is that it is related to fontification as well.

- command-execute                                                2420  53%
 - call-interactively                                            2420  53%
  - funcall-interactively                                        2325  51%
   - pabbrev-expand-maybe                                        1244  27%
    - if                                                         1244  27%
     - pabbrev-expand-maybe-full                                 1244  27%
      - cond                                                     1244  27%
       - pabbrev-call-previous-tab-binding                       1205  26%
        - let                                                    1205  26%
         - if                                                    1205  26%
          - let                                                  1205  26%
           - if                                                  1205  26%
            - funcall                                            1205  26%
             - org-cycle                                         1205  26%
              - call-interactively                               1198  26%
               - funcall-interactively                           1198  26%
                - org-table-next-field                           1198  26%
                 - org-table-align                               1122  24%
                  + font-lock-fontify-region                      258   5%
                  + mapcar                                        219   4%
                  + org-indent-refresh-maybe                      152   3%
                    apply                                          45   0%
                    org-element--cache-before-change                 32   0%
                    org-element--cache-after-change                 32   0%
                  + jit-lock-after-change                          16   0%
                    org-table-begin                                 9   0%
                 + org-table-maybe-eval-formula                     4   0%
                   org-table-end                                    4   0%

> An ECM would help too.

I cannot send the actual table I am working on as it relates to grades
for students.  I will try to create a similar table with random entries.

thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.94.1, Org release_8.3.5-1070-g190476