Re: [O] Feedback on changes to org-id

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Feedback on changes to org-id
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 09:16:47 +0200

Adam Porter <address@hidden> writes:

> Aaron Ecay <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> The API has the following two functions already:
>> - org-id-find-file-for: id -> file-name
>> - org-id-find-id-in-file: id file -> position
>>
>> Imagine I add to this API org-id-find-marker: id -> marker.  Then I
>> think we can deprecate (and eventually delete) org-id-find, since all its
>> uses can be replaced by some combination of the other 3 functions.  (We
>> could also keep it as a convenience function wrapping the other 3, but
>> it hardly seems worth it: the marker case just adds the overhead of
>> another funcall, whereas a significant proportion of the non-marker
>> calls in the codebase actually only care about the file name, so it is a
>> waste of effort to calculate the buffer position only to throw it away.)
>
> Personally, I wish org-id-find would not be removed, because I use it in
> org-bookmark-heading, e.g.:
>
> https://github.com/alphapapa/org-bookmark-heading/blob/master/org-bookmark-heading.el#L126
>
> On the other hand, maybe this is a good time to see about getting
> org-bookmark-heading into org itself, in which case whoever changes the
> API would be responsible for updating it... ;)  WDYT?

I didn't try your package, but from the description it simply allows one
to use the standard Emacs bookmark system, correct?  (I’m surprised it
doesn’t work with org files out of the box).

Such a feature does belong in Org IMO so feel free to start a new thread.

Rasmus

--
Not everything that goes around comes back around, you know