Re: [O] Making DocBook xml books from org mode?

From: Peter Davis
Subject: Re: [O] Making DocBook xml books from org mode?
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 10:55:42 -0400

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016, at 05:37 AM, Marcin Borkowski wrote:

> On 2016-09-29, at 20:04, Peter Davis <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I've started a new position in which I have to create and maintain a
> > large set of documents in DocBook xml format. For new books, I'd really
> > like to use org mode, since a) I'm already familiar with it, b) I love
> > it, and c) I believe it does (or can be made to do) nearly everything I
> > need.
>
> Nice.  Of many things XML is ill-suited to, marking text up is a nice
> exception: it seems really good at it (definitely way better than LaTeX,
> of which I'm a great fan!).

I'm also a big LaTeX fan, but I don't use it often enough to remember
everything I need. I rely on copying stretches from documents I created
earlier, or constantly having to Google for solutions.

One thing I like about org-mode for creating documents (as opposed to
all its other uses), is the fact that I can easily remember the simple
mark-up, see reminders on screen while editing, and easily generate HTML
and PDF.

> >  3. The direct route from org to DocBook xml seems to be missing. From
>
> Why not start with the HTML exporter and write your own one?  It's quite
> fun, and can be done in reasonable time.

For some definition of "reasonable." Seriously, I might want to do this
as an exercise sometime, but I can't wait for that right now.

> >  4. [LONGSHOT] Is there any way to /import/ docbook xml into org mode?
>
> XSLT?

Yes, that's a good option I hadn't considered.

> Hth,

Definitely. Thanks!

-pd

--