Re: [O] Fwd: comment lines inside org tables

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Fwd: comment lines inside org tables
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 17:36:06 +0200

Hello,

Rolf Sander <address@hidden> writes:

> I want to add a comment line into the file that does not disturb the
> table.

Disturb the table wrt to what action? Alignment? This is a minor issue
if you fix an arbitrary column width, isn't it?

> Like a "|---+---+---|" hline. I don't want any action. All
> programming languages have the option to add comments to the source
> code.

But Org is not a programming language, and an Org document is not source
code.

> Okay, so my question turns into a feature request now...

Allowing to comment anything is a can of worms I really don't want to
open. It complicates a lot of code for little benefit.

> I have started to modify defun org-table-align. With the modification,
> org-tbl now ignores all lines starting with "|-/". For me it works
> fine.

Sorry, but you're barely scratching the surface of the problem. Tables
are not just about alignment. Formulas don't handle these special lines,
neither do exported tables.

Again, this implies a serious work on org-table.el, and it would
introduce inconsistencies with other parts of Org (e.g., lists, where
you cannot comment an item, or even the syntax for commenting table
rows, which would be unusual).

All in all, I think there are more important itches to scratch for the
time being. Of course, YMMV.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou