Re: [O] Best diagram, image software?

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] Best diagram, image software?
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2016 15:45:29 +0200

Lawrence Bottorff <address@hidden> writes:

> I know lots of you use Emacs and org mode to prepare scholarly books
> and papers, either doing the HTML or, more probably, the Latex
> export. Question: Let's say I want to produce a math text with
> Emacs/org-mode/Latex. What is the best way to make diagrams and
> images? I've seen things like Inkscape and LibreOffice Draw. But then
> there is Gnuplot and Tikz. Yes, what Tikz does seems optimal, but the
> learning curve is a year's sabbatical. Just wondering what you people
> are using to do your images.

Depends, what kind of images you are talking about. If they are data
based (graphs, ...) I use R or GRASS (spatial data, GIS). For non-data
driven images, I use tikz (conceptual models) or PlantUML
[[http://plantuml.com/]] for different kinds of diagrams (uml, ...).

Thank there is obviously Inkscape and Scribus and GIMP as well.

Cheers,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug