Re: [O] [RFC] Change visibility for bracket links

From: David A. Gershman
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Change visibility for bracket links
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2016 17:16:50 -0700

On 10/05/2016 03:26 PM, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> "David A. Gershman" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Not bad, but could it be customizable via variable giving the user the
>> choice?
> Thank you for your feedback.
>
> I guess we could introduce a variable to let users shoot them in the
> foot, but is there any incentive to do so? I mean, the clutter is
> minimal, and the current state can be very annoying at times (ever tried
> to start a buffer with a bracket link?).

Actually, no I haven't. :)

I have no problem with the brackets, I just think they "break up" the
flow of reading we're familiar with.  Dare I say many people are use to
a web-like experience when having hyper links in text.  From your
description, the existence of the brackets are more for precise edits
without having to fudge with point.  I have fallen victim to that, but
admit, I prefer "clean" links.

If you do add the variable, by all means, have the new [format] be the
default.  Let people like me do the additional work of changing their
config.  It gives us a chance of being the geniuses who know how to help
others if/when they ask on the list. *evil laugh*

--David