Re: [O] Bug: org-mode interprets * as a headline in text between #+BEGIN

From: David Talmage
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: org-mode interprets * as a headline in text between #+BEGIN_.. and #+END_...
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2016 09:55:36 -0400

On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 2:09 AM, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:

> Is the "* on column 0 is a headline" convention a consequence of the
> dependence on outline.el? Or is it just historical baggage? I cannot
> remember the grammar rules, but I'm wondering if the parser could be
> made to say "not a headline" in this situation, and if so, what the
> consequences might be (particularly, the bad consequences).

This is inherent on how the syntax is defined, and how the parser is
implemented. As an outliner, the main syntactic element in an Org
document is the headline. Everything else has a lower priority.
Therefore, a block will not be parsed before a headline.

That's interesting.  Thanks for the explanation.

What does the parser do with a drawer?  How is that different from a block?  It seems that one can put text that looks like a headline in a drawer and it won't be interpreted as a headline.  Why couldn't blocks be parsed the same way?