Re: [O] [RFC] Change visibility for bracket links

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Change visibility for bracket links
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 10:17:08 -0400

Clément Pit--Claudel <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2016-10-07 22:38, Adam Porter wrote:
>> I understand the motivation for making this change, but I respectfully
>> request that this be made configurable.  I much prefer the "clean" links
>> without visible brackets, and adding them would seem like a regression
>> to me.  I'm guessing that many current Org users would also prefer to
>> keep the brackets invisible.
>
> Adam, what do you think of my earlier suggestion (displaying the
> brackets when the pointer is on them, hiding them otherwise? (In the
> style of prettify-symbols-mode with unprettify-symbol-at-point)

I don't particularly care whether the brackets are shown or not, but I
dislike things that change the visual appearance as you roll over
them. The web is full of such things and they drive me bananas: you
are trying to read something and you roll over something in the text
that changes its appearance, possibly shifting the text that you are
reading and leaving you to chase it around the page - good bye,
concentration.  Even if you do it by just switching visibility on the
brackets, it's distracting when you are reading; it might be helpful
when composing but I'm not convinced even for that.

If this proposal is considered at all, *please* make it optional.

My 2 cents.

Thanks!
--
Nick