Re: [O] [RFC] Change visibility for bracket links

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Change visibility for bracket links
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 14:21:13 +0200

Hello,

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> I agree there’s a problem, but I find the proposed solution potentially
> annoying...

I understand. I thought the advantages would mitigate the drawbacks. In
any case, I'd rather have a solution, active by default, and a way to
disable it than no solution at all.

> It is a problem.  It's also a problem with super/subscripts as pointed out
> earlier.

Exactly. Ideally, the chosen solution could be applied to
sub/superscripts too.

> Here’s a quick-and-dirty "mockup" in Emacs 25.1.  It doesn’t work
> properly, obviously, but try to move the cursor from left-to-right to get
> a taste of what it could be like.  Of course, the behavior could be
> tweaked, e.g. characters displayed etc...
>
> (progn
>   (setq prettify-symbols-alist
>
> '(("[[https://www.very-long-links-that-might-be-obnoxious-when-exampned.org/][";
>  . " ")
>         ("]]" . " "))
>       prettify-symbols-unprettify-at-point 'right-edge)
>   (prettify-symbols-mode)
>   (insert "\ntext before
> [[https://www.very-long-links-that-might-be-obnoxious-when-exampned.org/][my
> description]] text after\n"))

Thank you. However, if I eval this in an Org buffer, the new line is
properly inserted but nothing happens when point goes past the link.

Am I missing something?

Also, it doesn't seem to understand Org syntax, i.e., any "]]" would be
prettified, even if they do not belong to an Org link.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou